[pulseaudio-discuss] Restoring connections of ALSA emulation clients

Phil Frost indigo at bitglue.com
Thu Mar 21 08:16:26 PDT 2013

I have two applications (gnuradio and fldigi), and wish to connect the
output of one to the input of the other. The source application is using
the ALSA emulation layer, while the sink application has native
PulseAudio support. I've accomplished this by loading a null sink
module, and connecting the first application's output to the null sink,
and the second application's input to the null sink's monitor, using
pavucontrol.

However, when I restart the programs, the connections revert back to
their defaults, and I have to run pavucontrol and remake the changes,
which is inconvenient. Is there some mechanism that can remember the
connections of these applications between restarts, or some way I can
influence an ALSA application which opens the ALSA "pulse" device to
connect to a PulseAudio sink other than the default sink?