[pulseaudio-discuss] GSoC: Call for project ideas

Toby St Clere Smithe toby.smithe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 09:28:20 PDT 2013

Hi Tanu,

Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> writes:
> I like the idea of offloading stuff to GStreamer very much.

So do I. What do you think about my idea of integrating GStreamer as
tightly as possible?

> Do you follow GStreamer development closely? If I've understood
> correctly, GStreamer hasn't supported rewinding in the past, has there
> been any talk about that lately? Lack of rewinding support in any part
> of the audio pipeline causes bigger or smaller problems. I don't think
> it's a critical problem in this particular case, although rewind support
> would be useful in this case too. If we would like to use GStreamer for
> implementing filters, rewind support would be pretty mandatory.

The documentation at [1] doesn't seem to make much of a big deal about
seeking. I haven't seen anything about seek support in the rtpbin,
though there is a "jitter buffer" -- I presume the amount of seek is
dependent upon the amount of buffer available in the pipeline, and so is
pipeline-dependent.  I don't see why seeking should be dependent upon
the output bin, so I don't see a priori why this should be a
difficulty. But I haven't experimented, and have only looked briefly, so
I am not sure.

Cheers,

Toby