[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem with USB sound card - clicks and pops on re-open

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Mon May 13 22:35:08 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 23:19 +0200, Christian Iversen wrote:
> On 2013-05-13 05:41, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-05-12 at 17:18 +0200, Christian Iversen wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Is there any way to have pulseaudio keep the device open at all times?
> >> Or some other way to debug this?
> >
> > Disable the loading of module-suspend-on-idle in /etc/pulse/default.pa.
> > I'm assuming you don't care about the resulting power consumption. :)
>
> Ah, there is was! :)
>
> Well, that's great. Thanks!
>
> I don't think the Scarlett 2i2 really supports any meaningful power save
> mode anyway. It's quite a low-power soundcard to begin with (powered
> entirely by the USB bus).
>
> Anyway, even with the official driver for windows, this card has
> terrible clicks and pops when starting up from suspend (or power off).
>
> Does module-suspend-on-idle have a blacklist? It should! And this card
> should be on it.
>
> What does pa use for identifying backends? I mean, if I wanted to
> blacklist certain modules for a specific PCI or USB id, is that
> something that is reasonably easy to do?

Unfortunately, no. You can see that someone with a laptop might prefer
the clicks to keeping the device powered at all times.

Still, might be something that could be done, and toggled using a module
argument.

Don't know if anyone will be able to take this up soon,. but we're
always happy to help people contribute. :)

-- Arun