[pulseaudio-discuss] Connecting a phone over bluetooth

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed May 22 07:06:10 PDT 2013

On 05/22/2013 03:35 PM, Mikel Astiz wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM, David Henningsson
> <david.henningsson at canonical.com> wrote:
>> On 05/21/2013 05:18 PM, Mikel Astiz wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David,

>>> This should be working assuming BlueZ is configured properly. You
>>> might need to configure BlueZ's audio.conf with:
>>>
>>> Enable=Media,Headset,Gateway,Sink,Source
>>>
>>> This might not be necessary if your BlueZ is patched which is probably the
>>> case.
>>

>> If this was not the case, there should not have been an AudioSource.Connect
>> method at all, right?
>
> Correct.
>

>>> Another possible issue is that you never connected the profiles. You
>>> can try by calling the D-Bus AudioSource.Connect() (for A2DP) or
>>

>> When I do this, my phone lights up,
>> the following is added to syslog,
>> "bluetoothd[1066]: Connection refused (111)"
>> and the call, after some time, returns
>> "GDBus.Error:org.bluez.Error.Failed: Stream Setup Failed"
>
> This is weird. Any chance you might have overlooked a confirmation UI
> on the phone? Some phones prompt the user for incoming connections,
> but this is nowadays less common.

Thanks for the hint! There was a confirmation UI on the phone, but it
didn't show up on the lock screen. When unlocked I could confirm, and
play some audio through my laptop.

Also the card showed up on the input side with "Phone" as port name and
a correct device.description property, and profiles selectable between
hfgw and a2dp. So all good there.

I don't know if we want to make this more user friendly, if so, not
having to call dbus methods manually would be a good first step :-) I'm
not sure if this is something to be done in some pairing/bluetooth UI
rather than PulseAudio though.

(Another issue is the lack of good name & icon on the application tab in
gnome volume control, but that's probably a UI thing more than PA/bluez
thing.)

>> I can't do much in the UI (Samsung). The two checkboxes saying something
>> like "Use for phone sound" and "Use for media sound" are both checked.
>
> This would be the first phone I know of that doesn't have a UI to
> initiate connections to a headset (in this case, your laptop).

Actually, if you check the checkbox again (even though it's already
checked), that seems to cause it to connect. I'm still new to all of
this, so sorry for using you as user support ;-)

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic