[pulseaudio-discuss] Realtek 887-VD troubles

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Fri May 24 06:07:57 PDT 2013

> I'm struggling to get pulseaudio working on a machine with Q77 chipset (
device.product.name = "7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition
Audio Controller",alsa.mixer_name = "Realtek ALC887-VD") but so far I had
no success in getting pulseaudio working with 5.1 setup.
> Basically, my motherboard supports 2/4/6/8 channels configuration but
pulseaudio activates only 2ch config.
> I'm using KDE and phonon shows only (using default configurations)
left/right channels, (internal stereo audio)
> If I force pulseaudio to use all 5.1 channles, adding the following lines
>
> enable-lfe-remixing = yes
> default-sample-channels=6
> default-channel-map =
front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,front-center,lfe

> in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
>
> pulseaudio shows 5.1 channels (even in kde phonon), but front channels
(l,r,c) works fine; lfe no sound and rl and rr are not working, anly a very
low volume comes out from front speakers.

> I've tried all suggestions from google, mailing lists and forums as well
but no joy so far.

> ===============
> Linux 3.9.3
>
> $ aplay -L
>
> sysdefault:CARD=PCH
>     HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
>     Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
>     Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
>
> ==========
>
> pulseaudio -vvvvv tells a different story, here an excerpt from output; I
can provide full output, I didn't posted here to avoid unnecessary
cluttering
> [...]
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Looking at profile output:analog-surround-51
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Checking for playback on Analog Surround
5.1 (analog-surround-51)
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Trying surround51:0 with
SND_PCM_NO_AUTO_FORMAT ...
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Managed to open surround51:0
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(6) failed:
Invalid argument
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Trying surround51:0 without
SND_PCM_NO_AUTO_FORMAT ...
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Managed to open surround51:0
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(6) failed:
Invalid argument
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Trying plug:surround51:0 with
SND_PCM_NO_AUTO_FORMAT ...
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Managed to open plug:surround51:0
> D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(6) failed:
Invalid argument

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/plain/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Controls.txt

For those micro ATX motherboard with three jacks at rear panel to support
surround 5.1

Channel Mode
  This is an enum control to change the surround-channel setup, appears
only when the surround channels are available.
  It gives the number of channels to be used, "2ch", "4ch", "6ch", and
"8ch".  According to the configuration, this also controls the
jack-retasking of multi-I/O jacks.

hda-Intel.conf need hooks for set channel mode control for front,
surround40, surround51 similar to ich4.conf

https://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=tree;f=src/conf/cards;hb=HEAD