[pulseaudio-discuss] How to set media role variable ??

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 19 00:28:36 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 13:00 +0530, sathishkumar sivagurunathan wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I have a set of media streams running. For example; a vlc player and
> mplayer.
>
>    Assuming both the player dont have the media.role variable set, are
> these steps the way to go ??

No. It's not possible to update other clients' properties from another
client. What problem are you trying to solve? If you just want vlc and
mplayer to set their media role, you can set environment variable
PULSE_PROP_media.role=foo when running them. If you want to write
software for controlling the media role of arbitrary streams, that
software needs to run in the PulseAudio server, so it needs to be
written as a PulseAudio module.