[pulseaudio-discuss] What-did-you-plugin-dialog

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Nov 27 00:05:22 PST 2013

On 11/27/2013 08:37 AM, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> David Henningsson wrote:
>
> (sorry for hijacking the thread)
>
>> The current logic hard codes the port names of headphones, headset and
>> headphone mic.
>
> I think there is one more functional requirement likely to appear in the
> future. Namely, at LCE 2013, we discussed a reimplementation of
> module-virtual-surround using IIR filters (that I still have to clean up
> before submission), and Tanu suggested that it should be activated by
> default for headphones, which, from my viewpoint, is reasonable. After
> that discussion, some complications appeared:
>
>  * My desktop PC has a Gigabyte H87N-WIFI board that allows for
> headphones to be plugged into the front panel. However, the Streacom FC8
> Evo case does not have the headphone jack on the front panel at all, so
> I have to plug them into the rear jack.

This sounds like a completely different problem. I'm just guessing since
you didn't provide any alsa-info or similar info, but if you want your
rear jack to work as a headphone jack instead of a line-out jack, use
hda-jack-retask to do this on ALSA level. Then PulseAudio would pick
that up correctly. (Assuming you run a recent kernel and PA version.)

>  * I also have a set of filter coefficients that produce "virtual
> headphone" effect from 2.0 laptop speakers, which, combined with the
> above filter, allows for much better downmixing of 5.1 audio for such
> speakers. The caveat is: this currently works only for 13" laptops.
> Other laptop sizes need different coefficients. So, in the very unlikely
> case if I clean up the coefficient-generation program for submission and
> if someone generates more coefficients for me, then we might need a rich
> vocabulary for "stereo" speakers: traditional properly-placed stereo
> speakers, 17" laptop, 13" laptop, 32" TV on a stand, 47" wall-mounted
> TV, and so on. But, as I said, it is much more likely that I will not
> submit this at all due to lack of time - so please don't take this as
> something to consider immediately.

Ok, I will not consider this. :-)

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.