[pulseaudio-discuss] acceptable noise level for mic boost

Oleksij Rempel linux at rempel-privat.de
Fri Nov 29 12:56:46 PST 2013

Am 29.11.2013 17:22, schrieb Tanu Kaskinen:
> On Fri, 2013-11-22 at 18:34 +0100, Oleksij Rempel wrote:

>>> We don't currently have any idea of the noise level, so we don't have
>>> code for adjusting our decisions based on that information either. So,
>>> I'd say that pulseaudio doesn't *need* to know about the noise level. Of
>>> course, if someone someday complains that pulseaudio does bad decisions
>>> because it doesn't take the noise level into account, then we would need
>>> that information.
>>>

>> Thank you for your response.
>> I have more questions:
>> Skype continuously trying to adjust record level.
>
> I've never used Skype, but I think I've heard that it allows you to
> disable the automatic gain control. I'd expect that to help with your
> problem.

Well, it is workaround but not fix. To make conference call we need
automatic gain control. Disabling it will work only for single person
call. The question is how to fix it?
I tested 7 different notebooks, and 4 of them had this issue. It is
nearly impossible for alsa to know about all of them.

I'll snip other part of discussion. Right now it is less important.
--
Regards,
Oleksij