[pulseaudio-discuss] connect pulse to jack - headless

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Oct 5 01:21:29 CEST 2013

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone point me to instructions for connecting pulse to jack in
>> headless mode?
>>
>> I can run jack like this:
>>
>> eval dbus-launch --auto-syntax
>>
>> export
>> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-UBmwIyooQF,guid=86f4d04e50ca1406a4b7f215524db419'
>> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=6293; jackd -d alsa -r48000 -p64 -n2
>
> I use screen:
>
> dbus-launch screen
>
> This gives the you bash again. ctl-a c gives a second bash (or third) and
> they all use the same dbus instance.

I should have added, start jackdbus with jack_control rather than using
jackd. Make sure jackd is not already running. jackdbus comes with
jackd2. If you have already run jackd from command line, then jack_control
start will start it with the same command line. Changing the backend may
take more than one line using jack_control... Jack_control has no man page
and --help doesn't work either  :P   Just type jack_control with no
command for all the help there is. If jack is started as jackdbus then if
pulse has module-jackdbus-detect running, it will connect automatically.
Otherwise you will have to load module-jack-sink and/or
module-jack-source after both pulse and jackd are running. (if you are
used to qjackctl, it talks to jackdbus by default)