[pulseaudio-discuss] Transporting sound from 'mpd' server to laptop

Paul LeoNerd Evans leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
Sat Oct 19 21:46:58 CEST 2013

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 21:33:45 +0200
Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org> wrote:

> I guess to recover from intermittent latency increases you would need
> to skip some audio data which is as hearable as the drop that caused
> the latency increase in the first place. To avoid that you'd have to
> disable latency increase entirely. I can imagine a solution where you
> increase the playback speed (and pitch) slightly to recover but I
> don't think that's implemented.
>
> So while I find the latency accumulation hugely annoying as well I
> don't know a way out with the current code. But I would love to see
> this fixed.

I'm aware that yes, it would have to drop some audio. I don't
personally mind that. I'm happy to say that it ought not be the default
mode of tunnel, in that it should recover all the audio eventually, but
for cases like mine, I would much prefer to have it drop audio to keep
that latency down. Perhaps an option to tunnel to say "it's OK to drop
frames"

Could even have a mode whereby if it detects silence (e.g. the
inter-track gaps in music) it will drop the "silent" frames to keep the
latency down to a reasonable level, only resorting to dropping
non-silent frames if the latency becomes higher than some larger
threshold.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/