[pulseaudio-discuss] Patch review status wiki page updated

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 22:49:47 PDT 2014

25.04.2014 00:33, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> I reviewed the original discussion, and I tried (unsuccessfully) to use
> Veromix to see how good replacement it is. My conclusion is that I don't
> want to remove module-equalizer-sink. If I'm going to break the audio
> setup of people who use module-equalizer-sink, I want to be able to
> comfortably say "we removed the module, because X is clearly a better
> alternative". I'm not comfortable with saying that if "X" is substituted
> by "Veromix". Veromix is unmaintained. It's not available in Fedora.
> Trying to use it from source resulted in an empty window and a bunch of
> errors in the console:
>
> ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for AppIndicator3
> ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for Unity
> ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for Dbusmenu

OK, this is indeed an argument for not removing the module now. Thanks
for trying, this is still a very good progress, because you have set
useful directions for further work.

As for these error messages, they are caused by attempting to use Unity
integration and affect only the tray icon here. For me on Gentoo,
veromix falls back to a normal status icon if indicator_type =
GtkStatusIcon is set in the config. As for the empty window, I can't
help here. Let's assume that it either is due to a bitrot exposed by
Fedora or due to non-loading of module-dbus-protocol.

Also, I think we all agree that it is a valid task (valid even if
module-equalizer-sink was perfect) to provide a maintained GUI program
that can manipulate the parameters of LADSPA plugins loaded by
module-ladspa-sink.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov