[pulseaudio-discuss] Setting the volume via API has no effect

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera hugo at barrera.io
Wed Aug 20 06:52:17 PDT 2014

On 2014-08-20 06:52, Glenn Golden wrote:
> Hugo Osvaldo Barrera <hugo at barrera.io> [2014-08-20 09:37:17 -0300]:
> >
> > Am I going something wrong, or have I hit a bug?
> >

> Hugo, fwiw: There's a comandline utility called ponymix
>
>     https://github.com/falconindy/ponymix
>
> written by Dave Reisner, which performs get- and set- volume operations.
> It looks to be well structured and written, although not a lot of comments.
> Perhaps you may be able to use that code as a guide for how to do what
> you're trying to do with the API.
>
> (The only reason I'm mentioning this is that I happen to be playing around
> with ponymix myself right now. Sounded like it might be something you'd
> be interested in.)
>
> HTH,
>
> Glenn

Huh, this actually helped a lot more than expected. Thanks!
I replaced pa_context_set_sink_input_volume with pa_context_set_sink_volume_by_index.

I'm still not sure (even by looking at the documentation) what the other one
does, or what the difference between both functions are. Is that just me,
because I'm a novice in this, or could the doc be improved a slight bit?

Again, thanks, cheers,

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera