[pulseaudio-discuss] GSoC 2014 call for ideas

Thomas Martitz kugel at rockbox.org
Fri Feb 7 08:54:36 PST 2014

Am 07.02.2014 05:17, schrieb Arun Raghavan:
> Hello,
> This year's call for projects participation is out, and I'd like to
> gauge interest in participation. I'm happy to run org admin duty
> again, and if you've got ideas for a project and/or would like to
> mentor a student, please drop your name on the wiki:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Software/PulseAudio/GSoC2014/
>
> We should decide one way or the other by mid next week so that we can
> get our org application in well in time if we're doing this.
>
> Cheers,
> Arun
>
> p.s.: If you need access to the wiki, see
> http://wiki.freedesktop.org/sitewranglers/wiki/401/ or just send me
> the text you want on the page and I'll put it in.

I have an idea that might be suitable for GSoC however I haven't come up
with a detailed description. I thought it would be helpful to drop it
anyway to see what you think.

- Write a virtual sound card for win32. I.e. a sound card for
applications to stream to (or record from) but which loops back into PA.
This would allow non-PA-aware apps to go through PA, quite similarly to
the alsa-pulseaudio plugin. winesd has started such a project so it
might be a give a starting point for potential students. I think the
lack of such a virtual sound card hugely limits the usefulness of PA on
win32.

Best regards.