[pulseaudio-discuss] 'Failed to find a working profile' for firewire sound devices

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Jan 7 21:15:24 PST 2014

On 01/08/2014 05:05 AM, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I"m a newbi for this community.

Welcome!

> I'm happy to get your advices and
> information about PulseAudio, to make a plan to solve my issue.
>
> Currently I'm working in ALSA/FFADO community to add support of firewire
> sound devices into ALSA. I've already written some candidates of
> kernel-land drivers for 80-90 devices.

Thanks for this effort! IMO, the lack of ALSA support for firewire
devices have been one of ALSA's bigger shortcomings.

> Well, I found some issues between the drivers and PulseAudio's modules.
>
> When I modprobe my drivers and plug-in my devices, then
> 'module-udev-detect' realize it via sysfs/udev. The module tries to load
> 'module-alsa-card' but it always failed because it cannot decide
> 'working profile' for my devices. See this log:
>
> [pulseaudio] module-alsa-card.c: Failed to find a working profile.
> [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card"
> (argument: "device_id="1" name="firewire-0x000d6c04007feef8"
> card_name="alsa_card.firewire-0x000d6c04007feef8" namereg_fail=false
> tsched=yes fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no deferred_volume=yes
> use_ucm=yes card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""):
> initialization failed.

This means that PulseAudio tries to open the device in various ways, and
they all failed.

A PulseAudio verbose log, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log
would be the next step. The log is massive, but you can hopefully go
through that log yourself and see where it fails trying to open
something it should succeed in opening. If you can't find it, pastebin
the log somewhere and let some of us have a look.

> [pulseaudio] module-udev-detect.c: Tried to configure
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:0c:06.0/fw1/fw1.0/sound/card1
> (alsa_card.firewire-0x000d6c04007feef8) more often than 5 times in 10s

Not sure why it tries to do that, but should go away once it finds a
working profile, so let's focus on that first.

> (Under Ubuntu 13.10, PulseAudio 4.0 with some patches.
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/pulseaudio)
>
> I hope to get advices for this issue.
>
> I'm sorry but currently I have little time to make full solutions for
> this issue because I have some tasks in front of my face for ALSA/FFADO.
> So I want to make a plan for this issue in this time.

No worries. Since you're currently developing drivers, chances are that
there's something wrong or unsupported in your new drivers, that needs
to be fixed anyway.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic