[pulseaudio-discuss] 'Failed to find a working profile' for firewire sound devices

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Jan 10 08:15:28 PST 2014

On 01/10/2014 04:48 PM, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> (Jan 08 2013 23:03), David Henningsson wrote:
>> E g, if you want to use the headphone output only,
>> and keep other channels silent.
>
> I want to do this for daily use.
>
> I think it better that PulseAudio pushes stereo PCM samples to first 2ch
> of all available channels, then, the users control internal-mixer to
> forward them into preferrable output port.

And what seems to fail here is when requesting 2 channels only (stereo),
your driver says that the number of channels is not supported, probably
through some type of hw params constraint.

And all we try is mono, stereo, and a few surround options. We never try
setting the number of channels to 12 or 16.

So the main question here is if your plan is that your driver will be
fixed/improved to support two channel streaming for multichannel
devices? That would probably help a lot of other audio applications, not
only PulseAudio.
However, if this means a lot of extra trouble/work for you, we could
write a special profile set file in PulseAudio for firewire devices that
is more adapted to your driver.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic