[pulseaudio-discuss] Need help with audio gain on an Intel HDA equipt ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 07:27:12 PST 2014

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Master and PCM, and those are apparently not slaved to the little indicator
> applet that pops up with a horizontal slider at the top of the screen when
> I hit the mute, vol-down and vol-up buttons in the top edge of the
> keyboard.  all 3 effect but the alsa sliders were and are now, wide open.

Sorry, this can't be the full story. Your alsa-info file says that you also
have a Front control and a Headphones control. If none of these has any effect,
it is a bug. Please try moving all controls up and down with arrows, including
the controls that are past the right border of the initial alsamixer window.

> > Here is a 60 Hz sine wave for your tools:
> >
> > speaker-test -t sine -f 60 -c 1 -p 100000 -P 4 -F S16_LE
>
> This seriously doubles in these small speakers, but is otherwise clean.
> Says its left front, reporting periods in values straddling 3.0, seems to
> run forever so I ctl+c'd it after about 90 secs.

Yes, that's what it normally does.

> The -F S16_LE is not described in my man page, what does this do?

It selects the S16_LE as the sample format. This is a signed (S) 16-bit
format, so two bytes per channel. LE means that the least significant byte
comes first. This is just to prevent the fallback to U8 or something else
equally strange. The -F option itself, as well as the list of recognized
formats, is described in "speaker-test --help" output and is indeed missing
from the manpage.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov