[pulseaudio-discuss] M-Audio Delta 1010

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 20:29:08 PDT 2014

30.06.2014 06:41, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> % pulseaudio --version
> pulseaudio 5.0
>
> The card has:
>
> 2 digitial output ports (S/PDIF)
> 8 analog output ports
> 8 analog input ports
> 1 MIDI input port
> 1 MIDI output port
>
> Yet the list of profiles [1] doesn't seem to "support" that.

7.1 analog inputs/outputs are missing for unknown reason (we need a log,
see below, to see why). And second spdif is indeed not supported at all
out of the box on any card, that's a known bug. Other than that, the
list of profiles looks sensible.

MIDI is completely outside PulseAudio territory.

> In an
> attempt to get something working I am currently trying a simple
> profile of "Analog Stereo Duplex". However, I cannot get "ogg123 -d
> pulse" to use that card as a sink (IDLE vs RUNNING) [2].

So it looks like ogg123 successfully plays its stream through a wrong
card. Please try to use pavucontrol to fix the situation: either set the
new card as fallback on the third tab, or use the first tab to move the
ogg123's stream while it is playing.

> I saw a post [3] from May 2013 asking about configuring this card, but
> nothing was publicly stated about a resolution.
>
>> The defaults should work and be optimal on any card.
>
> Alllllllright! :)
>
> I would expect there to be a profile that matches the cards
> capabilities, but it doesn't look like it.
>
> If this is not the
>> case, it is a bug in PulseAudio that we cannot fix because we don't know
>> what's wrong. Please help us!
>
> Okay. What can I do to further triage this or assist in getting a patch for PA?

Please run the following command (one line, with ";" in the middle,
that's important for timing) from a terminal:

killall pulseaudio ; pulseaudio -vvv | tee pulse.log

If it says "already running", just try again, you have to win the race
vs autorespawn.

While that extra-verbose copy of PulseAudio is running, set the new card
as a fallback device in pavucontrol and repeat the ogg123 test. Move the
stream if necessary. Adjust the volume using pavucontrol just to see if
this operation works correctly.

Then, when it finishes playing, "killall pulseaudio", and then we will
get a complete "pulse.log" file. Place that somewhere in a pastebin for
our examination (it will be too large to attach).

Then, you can run the alsa-info.sh script from here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

It will gather some information from your card and paste it to a pastebin.

Once I see all of that, I will ask more questions about the card.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov