[pulseaudio-discuss] Loopback Delays

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Mon Mar 3 09:03:02 PST 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 08:30 -0800, James Board wrote:
> > I use my Linux PC to play audio from
> > my DVR to my PC speakers.  So, the DVR audio output is
> > connected to the audio input of the PC.  The audio
> > output of the PC is connected to the PC speakers.  In
> > pulseaudio, I load the loopback module (I don't remember the
> > exact terminology) to route the audio from PC input to PC
> > output.  It's fairly simple.
> >
> > The problem is that this introduces a 0.5 second delay in
> > the audio.  The sounds being played through the PC
> > speakers occur 0.5 seconds after the video.  Very
> > noticeable.  How can I eliminate, or reduce this
> > delay?
>
> There were no responses to my question.  Did I explain
> poorly?  Or maybe this was a dumb question?  Or,
> is it not possible to reduce this delay?

No, it's not a dumb question, it's just that people don't always have
time to answer all questions (or they may answer the questions after
several days).

You can try to play with the "latency_msec" argument of module-loopback.
If that doesn't work, then you have to introduce delay in the video
output. If that's not possible, then you're out of luck.