[pulseaudio-discuss] incomplete IPv6 support in pa_socket_client_new_string()

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Fri Nov 7 07:50:32 PST 2014

On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 22:26 -0600, Hajime Fujita wrote:
> Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-11-05 at 22:29 -0600, Hajime Fujita wrote:
> >> Hi Tanu,
> >>
> >> Thank you for your comment and sorry for the late reply.

> >> Do you have any justification behind this?
> >
> > Yes, sorry for leaving it out from my answer. The justification: I think
> > you can't actually implement suggestion b, because there's no way you
> > can figure out in pa_socket_client_new_string() whether
> > "1234::1234:1234" contains only an IP address or an IP address and a
> > port.
>
> Well my justification for option b was:
> if the caller wants to pass "addr:port" style string to
> pa_socket_client_new_string(), "addr" must be surrounded by brackets for
> the very reason you described.
> So, if pa_socket_client_new_string() sees a string like
> "1234::1234:1234", I thought it would be safe to interpret it as an IPv6
> address alone, not including port.

Ok, now I understand (and looking back, I feel I should have understood
already from the first mail...). I think pa_parse_address() should be
changed so that "1234::1234:1234" is parsed as an IP address, not IP
address + port. That way the problem is fixed for all callers of
pa_parse_address(), not only for pa_socket_client_new_string().