[pulseaudio-discuss] Releasing stream resources when the client receives SIGSTOP

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Mon Nov 24 05:18:55 PST 2014

On Mon, 2014-11-24 at 13:10 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:

> On 2014-11-24 12:04, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> >> So when I discussed this with Ricardo, my suggestion was that we either
> >>
> >>    1) (ab)use the cork mechanism to stop/resume the client when we
> >> discover that the client is SIGSTOPped, or
> >
> > This implies that we implement server-side corking, because currently
> > the cork status is controlled by the client, and this "stalled" corking
> > would be controlled by the server.
> >
> > Even though I have mentioned the "server-side corking" feature before
> > (as something that we need and use in Tizen), I might not have explained
> > how I think it should be implemented (Tizen's current implementation is
> > less flexible than what I'd like). We should have a hashmap of "cork
> > requests" in sink inputs and source outputs. The stream would be corked
> > as long as the hashmap isn't empty, i.e. as long as someone thinks that
> > the stream should be corked. The hashmap keys would be strings
> > identifying the "corking reasons", so policy modules could easily add
> > new reasons. The normal client-initiated corking would be one corking
> > reason, and this stall detection would be another reason. Tizen's policy
> > module would implement a third reason.
>
> +1 in general for this idea, to consolidate the "stall" concept with the
> "server side cork" concept; the fewer concepts on the more use cases,
> the better :-)
>
> I wonder what we should do with the "cork requests" though. I feel under
> this scheme, we should deprecate them and replace them with a "you have
> been (un)corked" message, possibly including the different reasons as
> strings, so the client can determine whether the cork happened because
> the client requested so, or if it was for some other reason.

I'd vote for not removing the old cork request feature, because there
are applications relying it. If the feature is seen as unnecessary for
new/updated applications, I'm ok with marking it as deprecated in the
documentation.

As for sending some new kind of message like "you've been corked", I
don't think that's necessary. If the introspection API allows pactl to
show the cork status, including corking done by the server (possibly
also including the reason string(s)), then the introspection API should
be sufficient also for applications that need to get notified when their
own stream gets corked by the server.

Talking about the client API, there's the question that how should
pa_sink_input_info.corked and pa_stream_is_corked(). For backwards
compatibility reasons, I think at least pa_stream_is_corked() should
return 1 only if the stream is corked by the application, and possibly
it would be good to apply the same policy for pa_sink_input_info.corked
too (but I think changing the pa_sink_input_info.corked semantics is
less likely to cause breakage).

Hmm... I realized there's another problem with stopped clients: not only
do their streaming get stalled, but they also stop reading events that
they may be subscribed to. The code looks like the daemon will buffer
data until it runs out of memory, which seems like a bad idea...

Let's assume that there's a simple application that just subscribes to
events and does nothing else ("pactl subscribe" would fit the
description). What to do when such application gets stopped? How do we
notice that it's stopped, if it's not streaming? Should we send a ping
message periodically? Or should we keep track of the amount of queued
data, and if that reaches some threshold, then we consider that client
stopped? Once we have declared the client unresponsive, should we
disconnect it, or just drop subscription events until it becomes
responsive again? In the latter case I think we should notify the
application that events have been dropped.