[pulseaudio-discuss] Sharing X application the old way with sound

Edouard Gaulué edouard at e-gaulue.com
Tue Oct 7 06:03:29 PDT 2014

Hi community,

There is a time when too much information kills information (old
information, partial information, wrong information...). I've been
googling for hours now and read a lot but I still don't know what to do
to implement my needs.

I think they are rather classical: I want to build a Firefox/Iceweasel
application server with several simultaneous clients using Raspberry Pi
using ssh, everything being in a LAN. Of course each user needs to hears
just its own application sound.

I don't want to send a full desktop manager like Gnome, KDE to the
client but just the application.

I've read that pulsaudio was per user, somewhere else per session, and
in a last place that to work with several users at the same time I
needed the "system" deamon. I've tried a lot...

I've also read the documentation regarding connexion between X11 and
pulseaudio. I've looked arround x2go and xfreerdp but I never found this
particular use case.

So, as of october 2014, is it just possible? With one only deamon
instance? If yes what would be the main setting keys on the server and
on the client? Is start-pulseaudio-x11 needed?

Best regards,