[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio (V5) incorrect rate detection on usb sound card with raspberry

Tue Oct 28 04:39:53 PDT 2014

Hello Tanu,

> I'm not sure if you mentioned this already before (sorry for not
> bothering to check), but is the PA version the same between the
> machines? If not, then something may have been fixed in PA, but in any
> case it seems more likely to me that there was some change in the kernel
> driver or alsa-lib that fixed the issue that makes PulseAudio conclude
> that the sound card doesn't support 44100 Hz.

raspbian comes with PA 2, but I did compiled PA 5, just to discard this type of problems, you can see the output here and yes both test are with PA 5:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2014-October/022015.html

I don't think there is a kernel driver or alsa-lib bug because other software like the Music Player Daemon haven't problem using the alsa device with only 10% of cpu usage (mp3 decoding), but with mpd Pulseaudio output or any other program (local or remote) cpu is 100% ... you known music is 44100 and PA detects a 48000 sound card so it needs resampling.

That I don't understand is how PA determines sound card capabilities....

any clue?