[pulseaudio-discuss] Resampler quality evaluation results

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Sep 2 01:58:08 PDT 2014

On 2014-09-02 10:16, David Henningsson wrote:

> On 2014-08-24 20:53, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>> I have finished the first stage of my work on resampler quality
>> evaluation.
>>
>> The scripts are here: https://gitorious.org/psy-eval/psy-eval/
>> The results are here: https://imgur.com/a/jtIEj
>>
>> Note: they are valid only for 44100 -> 48000 Hz resampling. But that's
>> the common case.
>>
>> TL;DR summary: it makes sense to change the default resampler quality
>> from the current "speex-float-1" value to "speex-float-3" or even
>> "speex-float-5" on capable machines, otherwise the distortion is
>> sometimes noticeable. And, speex-float-{3,5} are similar to what
>> proprietary OSes offer.
>
> Hi,
>
> Indeed interesting work, but I have a few concerns to that conclusion...

One thing I forgot to ask about - the quality vs the CPU power taken by
the different resamplers is a critical measurement here. E g, if soxr-lq
would be as quick as speex-float-1 there's nothing stopping us from
switching to soxr-lq by default, which by your diagram performs better
than speex-float-1.

So to find the best quality vs performance here, I think we need to
understand how well the different resamplers perform too.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic