[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio a2dp disconnect problem

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Aug 12 08:49:11 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-08-12 at 09:36 +0000, Eytan Naim wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm hoping I could get help me because I have searched the web twice
> and still not sure what to do.
> I'm trying to enable PulseAudio as an a2dp sink which seems to work
> fine on start, until I pause the audio app momentarily on the source
> device.
> After that,  instead of connection should be idle or something,
> PulseAudio unload his Bluetooth loopback module as seen below. And it
> seems that this disconnection event is triggered by Bluetoothd
> itself, but I assume that the problem is with PulseAudio.

The PA log is not as verbose as it could be (use -vv to get the full
debug output), which makes it harder to know what exactly is happening,
but my guess is that unloading the loopback module doesn't indicate any
issue. When the streaming pauses, PulseAudio changes the bluetooth card
profile to off, which unloads the source, which in turn causes the
loopback module to get unloaded. Perhaps PulseAudio shouldn't switch
the card profile to off, but probably it should.

> After that PulseAudio seem somehow zombie, I can only kill him with
> kill command (ctrl+c doesn't work).

I suppose pactl can't connect to the daemon either?

You could run PA under gdb, and get a backtrace when it gets stuck. My
guess would be that it's stuck in some synchronous D-Bus call to
bluetoothd (the last log message is about setting up the streaming
again). D-Bus calls should eventually terminate with a timeout, though
- is PA stuck for more than a minute?