[pulseaudio-discuss] First Initial Volume

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Dec 7 07:47:36 PST 2015

On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 15:27 +0100, Heero Yui wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to configure the first volume of pulseaudio (first time
> starting of the product), and I did not find how to configuring it.
>
> If I set the volume with a *"set-sink-volume
> alsa_input.0.output-microphones 35000"* the volume is set every time
> Pulseaudio start and not only on the first boot of the product.
>
> How pulseaudio manage this feature ?

It's not really supported.

You might be able to make it work by doing a first boot on a prototype
device, changing the volume to the desired level manually, and then
grabbing the file with "device-volumes" in its name under
~/.config/pulse. That file contains the saved volumes. The file name
contains the machine id, so you can't just ship the file as is on the
final product (unless you make sure that all devices have the same
machine id, which doesn't seem like a good idea). You could modify
module-device-restore so that if the main database doesn't exist, the
module loads data from the file that was grabbed from the prototype,
and then saves that data to the main database and continues as usual.

Or you could make a script that is called on the first boot, sets the
volume with pactl, and on subsequent boots doesn't do anything. I
suppose that would be easier.