[pulseaudio-discuss] bluetooth headset audio not supported by ofono

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Feb 4 00:40:28 PST 2015

On 2015-02-03 15:04, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 16:49 +0100, Georg Chini wrote:
>> I think the release notes for 6.0 should be revised to account for
>> that.
>
> Indeed. Before I update the notes, though, I want to get a decision on
> whether we will release with your patch to use both backends
> side-by-side (probably implies another rc before final release), or will
> we postpone that to the next release. Either is fine by me, but I'd vote
> for releasing with your patch.

Hmm. I'm not totally sure about the differences between HF and AG so
take this with a grain of salt, but...

It seems to me that it's not extremely unlikely that either of us will
step into the other domain in the future, i e, bluez 5 might implement
AG audio or PulseAudio might implement a native support for HF.

Also, if the AG plugin of Bluez 5 supports RFCOMM/AT commands then we're
already partially overlapping, because that's what we use to set/get
headset volume and mic gain. If we enable both backends, will that then
send AT commands from both backends when we try to set the volume, or...?

Hence, instead of removing all backend switching code, maybe we should
instead add a switching mode "both" which does what you say. Or
potentially replace "auto" with "both", if "auto" now makes no sense.

Finally, I remember Arun had a strong preference for not enabling the
ofono backend by default, so Arun, could you elaborate upon whether that
still makes sense given this new information?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic