[pulseaudio-discuss] bitstream hd formats over hdmi?

Andrew Henry adhenry.9 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 07:05:07 PST 2015

I was always under the impression that it is better to let the AV receiver
decode the bitstream, rather than supplying the receiver with an already
decoded (L)PCM signal, but your comment made me think a bit about this.
What is the reasoning behind letting, for example ffmpeg do the decoding in
software, then just passing a 7.1 PCM signal over hdmi to AV receiver?  Do
you think ffmpeg would do a better job than a receiver?  Does the receiver
handle a digital birstream in a different way to what it would handle a PCM
signal?

I always get disappointed when the shiny HD audio light doesn't light up on
my receiver :)