[pulseaudio-discuss] Realtek ALC892 on Fedora 21 Sound Connector constantly switching between output devices

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Wed Feb 25 08:43:11 PST 2015

On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 20:26 +0000, yaconsult wrote:

> I have a fresh install of Fedora 21 with this chipset on an Asrock X58
> Extreme6 motherboard. There is sound coming out of the speakers, but
> it is constantly cutting in and out. When I look in the audio and
> video settings under KDE, I can see the Device Configuration Connector
> constantly switching back and forth between Headphones and Line Out at
> a rate of several times per second.  I recorded this in a .gif file
> and you can view it here: http://makeagif.com/V3fT8p
>

> The system is dual-boot and the audio hardware works fine under
> windows. The same thing happens in both gnome and kde.  The sound
> output I want to use is the analog stereo output on the motherboard
> which uses a Realtek ALC892.  I made an audio recording of what it
> sounds like when I push the audio test button in a .ogg file here:
> https://filetea.me/t1sW6lUC9ABSciAO5zTMvA1nQ
>

> I have posted the alsa diagnostic info here:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=7b2eecbdf8ddc95149059f01a330b86fbb7938dc
>
> Is there a known workaround or solution for this problem? I believe I
> once had a similar or related problem on windows with this motherboard
> and found it documented in the realtek documentation. I think it was
> something about disabling notifications for audio devices being
> plugged and unplugged, but I'm not sure. Perhaps it's a jack detection
> issue, but what is the best solution for fedora 21?

I would suggest commenting out all "[Jack Headphone]" and "[Jack Line
Out]" sections from the files in /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths.
Unfortunately, any changes that you make will be overwritten whenever
PulseAudio gets updated. I think it would be good to be able to override
these files in /etc, but currently that's not possible.