[pulseaudio-discuss] module-remap-sink not working for surround card

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 14 12:16:41 PST 2015

On Mon, 2015-01-12 at 14:42 +0100, Martin Klein wrote:
> > It sounds like the surround51 alsa device isn't working as it should.
> > What if you try "speaker-test -D surround51:0 -c 6 -t wav"? Does it work
> > as expected?
> >
> This is working as expected (i.e. the from the rear output I hear
> "rear left, rear right" and from my front output I hear "front").
> However, changing the volumes of rear in pavucontrol still doesn't
> change anyting. Changing the volume of front effects all output
> channels. In alsamixer, changing the volume of rear and front works as
> expected.

I suggest that you don't think too much about the volume controls at
this point, because volume control can contain extra complications.

If speaker-test -D surround51:0 works, then it indeed appears to be a
problem in pulseaudio. What if you don't load the remap sinks, and just
try to play noise to the different channels of the alsa sink like this:

    pacat --volume=1000 --no-remix --channels=1 --channel-map=front-left /dev/urandom

(I set the volume to a relatively low value, because the noise can be
pretty loud.)

Try that command with different channel maps. Always specify just one
channel of the 5.1 setup. There should be noise from only one channel,
and if the specified channel is e.g. "rear-right", you of course should
hear the noise from the rear right speaker. Does it work?