[pulseaudio-discuss] paplay : connection refused

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Fri Jan 30 01:45:25 PST 2015

On Tue, 2015-01-27 at 13:41 -0500, sean darcy wrote:
> On Fedora 20, I'm trying to play a bunch of opus files with opusdec,
> which outputs to /dev/dsp. I tried padsp, but that doesn't work:

Just a sidenote: isn't opus pretty recent codec? Why does opusdec use
such an antiquated API for audio output?

> Even pactl fails:
>
> pactl stat
> Connection failure: Connection refused
> pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

You can see where pactl is trying to connect with

    PA_LOG=99 pactl stat

Then you can compare it with the socket that the server is using. You
can find the server socket location with this command:

    netstat -xlp | grep pulse

There's most likely a mismatch between what pactl thinks the socket
location should be and what it actually is.