[pulseaudio-discuss] Latency bug when module-tunnel-source and module-loopback are loaded dynamically

Olivier Delbeke olivier.delbeke at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 06:10:22 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I'm bumping into a very strange issue : setting-up a tunnel between two
devices is OK (thanks to Georg), but only when the configuration is static
(=stored in the /etc/pulse/* configuration files), not when the same
modules are loaded after pulseaudio's start-up. In the second case, all
modules are loaded correctly, BUT the calculated latency of the tunnel is
obviously wrong, for example "current latency: 26695333.53 ms". And no
audio can be heard.

The log is full of these :
module-loopback.c: Loopback overall latency is 107.15 ms + 220.18 ms +
13395537.50 ms = 13395864.83 ms
module-loopback.c: Loopback overall latency is 107.34 ms + 0.00 ms +
26188232.17 ms = 26188339.51 ms
module-loopback.c: Loopback overall latency is 106.28 ms + 206.58 ms +
13395547.45 ms = 13395860.31 ms

On my source unit, I have a module-null-sink "default" and a
module-native-protocol-tcp.

On the destination unit, I have the following configuration
  load-module module-udev-detect
  load-module module-suspend-on-idle
  load-module module-cli-protocol-tcp
  load-module module-tunnel-source source_name=my-tunnel
server=192.168.100.1 source=default.monitor
  load-module module-loopback source=my-tunnel  sink=my-alsa-sink

When I start pulseaudio with this configuration, it works. But if I comment
the last two lines and execute them manually using "pacmd", I get no audio,
the messages in the log and the huge latency.

Does anybody know why this happens ? And how to get rid of this (I need the
dynamic behavior) ?

By the way, I'm using pulseaudio 6.0 . Any chance that this would be fixed
in pulseaudio 7.0 ?

Thank you and best regards,

Olivier