UTF-8 documentation

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Mon Apr 5 06:35:23 PDT 2004

Sounds like a plan: we should convert to using an up to date
version of docbook, that the other major projects use and
therefore run cross platform (e.g. docbook is used by Gnome and
KDE).

Dunno what dtd to use though.  Cross that bridge when we understand
where it is and we get to it.
                         - Jim

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 02:57, Keith Packard wrote:
> It appears that the doctools version XFree86 includes is so old that it
> can't deal with UTF-8 locales.
>
> I suggest we ship these files encoded in ISO Latin-1 for this release and
> deal with wholesale document format conversions at a later date.  I'll
> regenerated all of the docs in a Latin-1 locale (en_US.ISO-8859-1) and
> they look essentially identical; for some reason, hyphenation is different
> in a few spots.  Go figure.
>
> -keith

Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com>
HP Labs, Cambridge Research Laboratory