So what next?

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Thu Apr 8 09:16:03 PDT 2004

Keith Packard writes:

 > Around 9 o'clock on Apr 7, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
 >
 > > Where do we put things now?  Is XORG-RELEASE-1 being merged back to
 > > XORG-CURRENT?  Is XORG-CURRENT then being merged into HEAD and then
 > > HEAD used going forward?  When will the branch for 6.7.1 be branched
 > > off?
 >
 > The branch structure in CVS is untouched; all we did was set a tag for the
 > release (well, two tags, but that's another complicated story...)
 >
 > I'd like to see XORG-CURRENT merged to HEAD and then XORG-RELEASE-1 merged
 > to HEAD (with checks to make sure we don't merge stuff which was kludged
 > just for the release).

I would like to do the merge of RELEASE-1 before the other merge.
I've set a base tag to simplify this, and I'm afraid this will not
work if we merge to head first.
I certainly would not mind to have the ongoing development taking
place in HEAD. XFree86 moved to this structure years ago and I know
nothing that would speak against it.

 > I'd like to suggest that our next release be the same as 6.7.0 code-wise
 > and focus on switching build systems.  With no code changes, we can call
 > this 6.7.1 and let people get some 'soak time' using the new build system
 > without having to deal with broken new code at the same time.

This gives no value to the user and just delays things.
We need to get technology out to remain credible. Changing the
build system is some internal reorgainzation issue and that's
nothing the user cares about.

Egbert.