[Fwd: Re: [forum] Migrating away from the XFree86 project]

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Fri Apr 9 03:51:15 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 12:41, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> Oh, OK, they've updated the site since I saw it last - you used to have to
> register or something to obtain the source, (and I only have a simple web
> browser currently installed on this machine).
>
> I'm dissapointed that the distribution includes code licensed under the
> GLX Public License and the CID Font Code Public License.

Yeah, we have a query in to SGI on the GLX front.  Keep fingers
crossed.  About the CID font stuff, I dunno.  Haven't
yet faced that one.

I did try to call Chuck Bigelow once a few weeks
ago and sent him mail to see if he would
be willing to relicense his fonts to something more like the
Bitstream font license, which, while quirky, meets the DFSG
and survived the Debian legal mailing list.  I didn't
hear back from Chuck. The Bitstream license addresses
some of the concerns Chuck expressed when I talked to him
about his fonts when I started the work that resulted in
the Bitstream donation..  I'll try to catch Chuck
again as I come up for air.

Presumably you can build everything except GLX.
                         - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com>
HP Labs, Cambridge Research Laboratory