So what next?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Apr 13 03:13:31 PDT 2004

Around 10 o'clock on Apr 13, Egbert Eich wrote:

> I will do a merge of the branches today. I'll test and announce it
> before doing the commit.

Thanks.

> > The sooner we get it done, the faster
> > things can happen in the future.
> >
> This doesn't seem to be a universally shared position. To get as much as
> possible on the same page I'd like to see the issues individual groups have
> being addressed - with the outcome not anticipated beforehand.

I suggest that we will not be able to reach rough concensus on this issue
in any reasonable timeframe (like the next decade).  However, it is not an
issue which can be left unresolved, so we need to find a way to make a
decision.  I would be willing to accept the board's direction on this
issue.  I suggest that we have it brought to a vote there and move on with
whatever plan they specify.

There seem to be three possible plans:

 1)	Leave everything as-is for now and the foreseeable future.

 2)	Do more development in the monolithic tree, attempting to
	integrate new functionality and provide at least one more
	major release with a monolithic build system.

 3)	Split the monolithic tree apart into modular pieces and
	prepare those for release without any significant changes.
	Plan on providing that initial modular release and one more
	modular release with new functionality.

I feel like I've made my own views as clear as I need to; I'd like others
to feel free to do the same so that the board has an idea of what the
developers involved in the process are willing and able to tolerate.

The real problem is dithering about the process, not the specific process
we choose.

-keith