So what next?

Branden Robinson branden at
Sat Apr 17 14:19:46 EST 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 03:13:31AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
>  1)	Leave everything as-is for now and the foreseeable future.
>  2)	Do more development in the monolithic tree, attempting to
> 	integrate new functionality and provide at least one more
> 	major release with a monolithic build system.
>  3)	Split the monolithic tree apart into modular pieces and
> 	prepare those for release without any significant changes.
> 	Plan on providing that initial modular release and one more
> 	modular release with new functionality.

If my two cents are of utility:

I'm happy with either 2) or 3).  I do understand the appeal of 3) for
those of you doing the real work.

I don't think 1) is sustainable, especially with XFree86 Inc. making
Imake, and all Imakefiles in the XFree86 source distribution, their
proprietary technology[1].

(...which may, ironically, prove to be the most effective act of
euthanasia for that long-maligned configuration system. :) )

[1] see the XFree86 CVS commit list

G. Branden Robinson            |       Eternal vigilance is the price of
Free Software Developer        |       liberty.
branden at          |       -- Wendell Phillips |