[Xorg] RELEASE-1 merged into CURRENT

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Fri Apr 23 01:14:36 EST 2004

Keith Packard writes:

 > Around 11 o'clock on Apr 20, Egbert Eich wrote:
 >
 > > Well, we may see stuff go into branches which may never go into the
 > > trunk.
 >
 > That's the nice thing about using the common ChangeLog; if those changes
 > don't get merged onto HEAD, then the ChangeLog entries won't get merged
 > either.  The ChangeLog entries should get merged along with the affected
 > files; that way everything tracks together.

Right. I was not quite clear the way I expressed myself :-(
What I meant was when I do developing I try a lot of things I
throw away later on and decide to do different. Those don't
belong into the merged ChangeLog but they do belong in the
branch log (I may want to remember later what I have tried).
Therefore these will have to get tossed from the merged log.
This means manual intervention anyway.

 > > > That would leave your nice hierarchical
 > > > ChangeLog format and not require separate ChangeLog files for each branch.
 > >
 > > Right. I wouldn't mind to have all this automated either.
 > > However my Perl skills are limited and I'm a little reluctand
 > > to do this in awk.
 > > Any volunteer?
 >
 > I can try and poke at the prepare-ChangeLog.pl script, but I will admit
 > that I know no more perl than you.  I'm afraid too much of our
 > infrastructure is starting to rely on a language that none of us want to
 > learn...

Well, if I had the time... Right now I have to learn how AGP works.
On the other hand I've tried several time already but never managed
to get the right attitude towards this language.

Egbert.