DRI backwards compatibility problem from X.Org 6.8.0 onwards

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Mon Dec 13 11:29:02 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 11:30:07AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> Does this not break compatibility with 6.8.0/6.8.1 - that seems at least
> as big a problem as the breakage from 6.7 because it will prevent anyone
> stuck with a 6.8.* driver from updating to get security fixes ?

We discussed this issue on the release wranglers call today and decided
to maintain compatibility with 6.8 for this and future 6.8-based point
releases instead of restoring backwards compatibility with 6.7 since an
ABI change now would cause additional problems vendors that rely on the
DRI.  We plan to investigate other solutions for the next major release.

Kevin