ChangeLogging commits to CVS

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Dec 14 08:05:02 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 16:12 +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Daniel Stone writes:
>  > While we're at it, can I please request that commits also be split up
>  > into logical blocks?  For instance, committing EDID 1.3 support along
>  > with a documentation change along with a trivial Radeon driver fix along
>  > with an Imakefile change for libXpm and at least ten other fixes makes
>  > no sense, and makes it far, far, far harder to see what changed at a
>  > glance.  Grouping the ChangeLog commits is fine, but I find it immensely
>  > frustrating when I type 'cvs log radeon_driver.c | less' and get
>  > confronted with screens upon screens of unrelated changelog.
>
> Doing this is rather time consuming and since the new Changelog allows
> one to group the comments with the list of files (and if necessary even
> functions) that were affected it is not strictly necessary.

I agree, and I also agree that having to break your changes out when
you've been working on things in parallel is a pain (but you can largely
sort this with -- write ChangeLog, 'cvs ci ChangeLog lib/Xpm/Imakefile';
write ChangeLog, 'cvs ci ChangeLog
programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/driver/ati/radeon_driver.c', ...), but the
time it saves when working out what's been committed when is
immesurable, especially when you have to dig through tens or hundreds of
these huge, massively-unrelated changes.  Getting into the habit of
code-test-commit is probably also good, so we don't all have huge
bunches of code stewing locally, just ready to cause conflicts when we
all attempt to commit to about half the tree. :)