Friday's release wranglers call

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Thu Jul 8 20:02:28 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:00:23PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Keith Packard wrote:
> >Around 8 o'clock on Jul 8, Paul Anderson wrote:
> >>If you know you definitely can or cannot make this Friday's call (8:00AM
> >>PDT/11:00AM EDT), please let me know, and I'll plan to host or cancel the
> >>meeting accordingly.
> >
> >I can attend.
> >
> >I'd like to discuss the state of the experimental work on allowing .so
> >modules in the X server.
>
> I can't make it (Sun shutdown all US offices this week, so I'm off doing
> other things), but I can point out that we've had absolutely no problems
> using the dlopen() loader support currently in the Xorg tree on Solaris.
> Just had to enable it and hack the builds to set the right dependency
> flags in the modules at build time.

Your ATI driver will not work.

Debrix has libdl stuff working fine with some refactoring - our main
problem is that xaa/scanpci/all those modules under hw/xorg are linked
into the final Xorg binary, not as separate modules, and the public API
was never maintained in the loader, so we have to keep adding
SYMFUNC/SYMVARs to get drivers working.

That aside, it's all good; this post comes to you from debrix, which has
libati loading libatimisc.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>