Friday's release wranglers call

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Mon Jul 12 10:09:46 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 02:53:48PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Daniel Stone writes:
>  > Debrix has libdl stuff working fine with some refactoring - our main
>  > problem is that xaa/scanpci/all those modules under hw/xorg are linked
>  > into the final Xorg binary, not as separate modules, and the public API
>  > was never maintained in the loader, so we have to keep adding
>  > SYMFUNC/SYMVARs to get drivers working.
>
> Why would you do that?
> Not all these modules are required all the time.
> So why would you load them into the server binary?

I have this twisted ideal that only installing one binary file makes it
cleaner. I dare say that almost all of them are in use in the average
situation, anyway.

Adam J is threatening to reverse this change. I won't complain very
loudly if he does.

If nothing else, it's a great exercise in finding out what XFree86's
public API *really* is, because it's certainly not in xf86sym.c.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org