[Xorg] Resync branches...

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Tue Jul 13 02:39:43 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Egbert Eich wrote:

>Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:10:58 +0200
>From: Egbert Eich <eich at pdx.freedesktop.org>
>To: People working on X software releases
>    <release-wranglers at freedesktop.org>,
>Subject: Re: [Xorg] Resync branches...
>
>Alexander Gottwald writes:
> >
> > What about creating a new branch and rename it to the old? For cygwin we have
> > the same problem which I'm going to by branching from HEAD again and leave
> > the old CYGWIN branch dead (or move the branch tag to the new branch).
> >

>How do you rename a branch tag in CVS?
>It  can be done easily with  ordinary
>tags however I have not found a way
>to do this with branch tags.

Short story:  you can't

Long story: you can manually edit the RCS files, or use cvs admin
commands, both of which have very high risks of damaging the
repository if you don't know what the results will be ahead of
time.  Me and Keith looked into this before and found it was much
more trouble and risk than it was likely worth....

YMMV of course.  ;o)