Minutes from July 30 Release Wranglers call

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Fri Jul 30 11:45:45 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:41:01PM -0600, Paul Anderson wrote:
>   (3) One could add some ifdefs to the code so that the build of
>       the problematic area will only be attempted if it finds the
>       right version
>
> Jim feels that we should bump to 2.1.8 and put a big note about
> this in the release notes about it.  Although #ifdefs might work
> for now, Jim raised concern that the ifdefs will be forgotten
> and live forever, complicating long-term maintainability.  Jim
> would like to open up a discussion with the freetype folks about
> this so that we catch these types of problems sooner rather than
> later.

FWIW, I feel that (3) is really the only option. If it matters to drop
it out of the code, something like this may help:
/* This is just for compatibility with freetype < 2.1.8; feel free to
 * remove it after 2004-12-31. -jg */

Not many distributions (read: none) ship newer versions of FreeType, and
unconditionally using our own is just *pain*, for many reasons. Not
least of which -- anyone remember the security hole in zlib?

> Egbert discussed some issues that were recently raised on some
> of the mailing lists.  Jim asked if PAM might help, but noted
> that trying to fix some of them in X will be problematic.  Jim
> will put together a write-up for the release notes describing
> how the problem can be addressed in platform-specific ways.
> Egbert will apply his fix, since the patch makes the behavior
> more strict.  He'd like to get feedback now, and if there are
> problems, he can back it out before the release.

... which issues?

> Jim also mentioned some work paid that HP paid debian to
> complete, and the debian website needs to be updated accordingly.
> Jim will track this.

... which work?

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>