RFC: What to do with the stale/buggy Xft/Xrender in the tree.

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:22:32 -0500

Mike A. Harris wrote:

>=20
> 2) Replace stale Xft/Xrender with new upstream version.
>=20
> Problems:
> - We can't do this correctly as imake can't create .so files=20
>   with the right versioned extension.

It shouldn't be hard to fix imake, or more accurately, lnxLib.rules, to=20
deal with teeny library revs. That's probably useful in the general=20
sense. Although it'll break when some genius decides he needs four=20
levels of versions on a library.

> - While there are a few ugly hack methods that might work, they=20
>   would be very ugly and prone to be problematic, and highly=20
>   likely to be non-portable.

What part is non-portable?

>=20
> After our discussion in IRC, we currently believe that option #6
> above is the least disruptive of them all, and provides the most
> amount of compatibility, while making the defaults sane for each
> OS platform.  I would like to get some technical feedback from
> Egbert and others about the above solutions, and try to come to a=20
> concensus soon, so that the work to clean this up can get in tree=20
> ASAP.

I missed that discussion (because I can't be on IRC 24=D77) but I'd rathe=
r=20
see lnxLib.rules fixed to deal with three-level versions and install=20
current bits.

--

Kaleb