need a name for the server we build from the XFree86 ddx?

Egbert Eich release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:48:05 +0100

Stuart Kreitman writes:
 > > I like Xing.
 >
 > But its not a next generation, not yet for this first release.
 >

 > uh, SIng? Sample Implementation Next Generation...

The problem with all these words is that they may have a meaning for
native English speaking people - and may even have a humorous background,
but to most others they are more or less meaningless and completely
unrelated to the product. For better global acceptance it's better
to use a name where we don't have to point people to a dictionary first.

To me Xing is rather meaningless - I have to admit.

 > My preference for the binary is "Xorg" which is consistent with the current usage:
 > "Xdec", "Xsun", "Xvfb", "Xprint", "Xnest", also, in a wierd linguistic sense:
 >
 > X(DEC) ==> Xdec
 >
 > X(SUN) ==> Xsun
 >
 > ... but then:
 >
 > X(XFree86) ==> XFree86
 >
 > X(XORG)  ==> Xorg

Right.
The choice of the name XFree86 is a good example of what I have been
trying to explain: English speaking people immediatly understood
the homor involved in the name of the successor of X386.
However there have been non-native English speaking people who
had been on the project for years until they have finally understood
the little catch in there.

Egbert.