freetype hack committed

Mike A. Harris release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Tue Mar 2 20:10:56 PST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Egbert Eich wrote:

>I have committed the patch that allows linking of
>an externally supplied libfreetype.so into the
>freetype Xserver module. I still don't like that
>the code requires an include file from the freetype
>version shipped.
>I would like to see this code being given widespread
>testing on various platforms including various flavors
>of BSD!
>
>I'd also like to know which platforms by default
>provide:
>
>freetype
>expat
>zlib
>
>so I can set the Has**** define to YES on these
>platforms.

All Red Hat OS products contain the above libraries as separate
packages for as long as I can remember, so they can be set to YES
in linux.cf in the LinuxRedhat section at least.

The only problem I can forsee, is that freetype 2.1.4 is required
to compile the sources, and freetype 2.1.4 or later is included
with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, and with Fedora Core 1 and later
only.  I have tested compiling the new sources on each OS release
of ours, and it fails on any release that does not have freetype
2.1.4 or later installed.

I have updated freetype on Red Hat Linux 8.0 to freetype 2.1.4 on
my machine by recompiling our Fedora Core 1 package, and the
build succeeds now.

So, in short, for Red Hat OS products, the xorg sources will fail
to compile if HasFreetype is set to YES by default.  I do not
have a problem with that however.  My preference would be to have
the HasFreetype define either trigger based on the combination
of vendor and vendor OS release, or to default it to the vendor's
current OS release.  Our current OS releases all have freetype
2.1.4 or later installed, and so HasFreetype YES will cause it to
succeed on our current OS releases.

Perhaps we should add defines to pick the particular vendor OS
release, and set the defaults based on the combination?