CVS access policy, branching/tagging, code review, etc.

Mike A. Harris release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:54:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, John Dennis wrote:

>> Hmm.  I'd rather see the release done on HEAD; otherwise, there's work to
>> be done to make HEAD current after the release, which seems error prone.
>
>The usual procedure is to have a code freeze date for the release and
>then branch for that release. Continuing development occurs on HEAD,
>release bug fixes occur on the branch. When/if release bug fixes are
>merged back to HEAD is a working policy decision.
>
>Thus I agree with Egbert, releases should be branched, HEAD is never a
>release vehicle.

I also agree with Egbert.  HEAD should always consist of the
latest development efforts.  When a particular release is nearing
release, or already released, it should be branched off of the
trunk as a stable branch.  Development of the next release should
then continue to proceed on the HEAD of the trunk.  This is how
almost all projects use CVS, and it makes the most amount of
sense.