Release Wranglers Call - 5th March 2003

Howard Greenwell release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Fri Mar 5 17:08:37 PST 2004

--=====================_31777643==.ALT

All,

The minutes of the Release call today:

Attendees:

Keith Packard
Jim Gettys
Stuart Krietman
John Dennis
Howard Greenwell
Paul Anderson
Leon Shiman
Egbert Eich

Minutes:

Stuart mentioned that we had no packing mechanisms in the tree.
Keith suggested making a "make install" will create a separate directory
that can then be made into a tarball.

Jim reported that he has been able to get most of the Tinderbox
configuration worked out. Keith use -z3 for compression  - historical
reasons, but can use personal preferences.

Jim raised 213 - superbug...

219 - Egbert said look in CVS to see where it is disabled by default. Will
not change until he has been informed that it is OK not to ship "expat" on
a particular system. Keith thinks should be completely removed. Egbert
disagrees - Freetype uses it. Experimented today to update to Freetype
2.1.7 in the tree. Wants to know if the Freetype code should be committed.
Roland Mainz needs Freetype 2.1.7 because Xprint needs it.
221 - Keith indicated made installation of xft optional.
223 - Egbert committed the fix for 3 level numbers entered by Kaleb.
225 - Xcursor. Keith indicated just need to grab the library. XCursorGen is
separate from library.
Egbert has not turned off installation of Xcursor. Keith acknowledged
should do this.
Should have a build time option for the libraries.

Agreed server and log file should be named "Xorg" and "Xorg.0.log". Need to
be careful that there are no copyright infringements.
May need to have all areas of name changes configurable so that there is no
confusion between when to use XFree86 and when to use Xorg.

Keith suggested we need to get a legal opinion on whether we need to change
the name of the executable and the documentation. Egbert thinks changing
all references to XFree86 would be quite large. Keith says 700 references -
mostly in tags. Egbert thinks 50,000 lines of documentation. 1603
references in the documentation directory that gets installed. Keith
acknowledged that we only needed to fix the documentation that is actually
installed.

Keith does not think it is too large
Action: Jim will talk to Scott about the legal issues.
Action: Keith will make the changes to the documentation.
Action: Stuart will raise a bugzilla report to track the change, and assign
it to Keith.

Stuart will ask the SUN lawyers also for their readout.

DRI - next rational merge point is probably late April and to be too late
for our release.
All agreed that we should not try to update DRI in this release.

Major things Egbert has done on the last couple of days is the update to
V4.4.0.
Code has been been added to the XFree86 modules that had the license change.

Action: Egbert will work on the code to make it configurable for the
XFree86, Xorg or SuSe names, etc.
Action: Keith agreed to work on the documentation.

Do need to check with lawyers to make sure no trademark issues are going to
be broken.

Howard.
--=====================_31777643==.ALT

All,<br><br>
The minutes of the Release call today:<br><br>
Attendees:<br><br>
Keith Packard<br>
Jim Gettys<br>
Stuart Krietman<br>
John Dennis<br>
Howard Greenwell<br>
Paul Anderson<br>
Leon Shiman<br>
Egbert Eich<br><br>
Minutes:<br><br>
Stuart mentioned that we had no packing mechanisms in the tree.<br>
Keith suggested making a &quot;make install&quot; will create a separate
directory that can then be made into a tarball. <br><br>
Jim reported that he has been able to get most of the Tinderbox
configuration worked out. Keith use -z3 for compression&nbsp; -
historical reasons, but can use personal preferences. <br><br>
Jim raised 213 - superbug...<br><br>
219 - Egbert said look in CVS to see where it is disabled by default.
Will not change until he has been informed that it is OK not to ship
&quot;expat&quot; on a particular system. Keith thinks should be
completely removed. Egbert disagrees - Freetype uses it. Experimented
today to update to Freetype 2.1.7 in the tree. Wants to know if the
Freetype code should be committed. Roland Mainz needs Freetype 2.1.7
because Xprint needs it. <br>
221 - Keith indicated made installation of xft optional. <br>
223 - Egbert committed the fix for 3 level numbers entered by Kaleb.
225 - Xcursor. Keith indicated just need to grab the library. XCursorGen
is separate from library.<br>
Egbert has not turned off installation of Xcursor. Keith acknowledged
should do this. <br>
Should have a build time option for the libraries.<br><br>
Agreed server and log file should be named &quot;Xorg&quot; and
&quot;Xorg.0.log&quot;. Need to be careful that there are no copyright
infringements.<br>
May need to have all areas of name changes configurable so that there is
no confusion between when to use XFree86 and when to use Xorg.<br><br>
Keith suggested we need to get a legal opinion on whether we need to
change the name of the executable and the documentation. Egbert thinks
changing all references to XFree86 would be quite large. Keith says 700
references - mostly in tags. Egbert thinks 50,000 lines of documentation.
1603 references in the documentation directory that gets installed. Keith
acknowledged that we only needed to fix the documentation that is
actually installed.<br><br>
Keith does not think it is too large <br>
<b>Action:</b> Stuart will raise a bugzilla report to track the change,
and assign it to Keith.&nbsp; <br><br>
Stuart will ask the SUN lawyers also for their readout. <br><br>
DRI - next rational merge point is probably late April and to be too late
for our release. <br>
All agreed that we should not try to update DRI in this
release.<br><br>
Major things Egbert has done on the last couple of days is the update to
V4.4.0. <br>
Code has been been added to the XFree86 modules that had the license
change. <br><br>
<b>Action:</b> Egbert will work on the code to make it configurable for
the XFree86, Xorg or SuSe names, etc. <br>
Do need to check with lawyers to make sure no trademark issues are going
to be broken. <br><br>
Howard. </body>