Release Wranglers Call - 5th March 2003

Keith Packard release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Fri Mar 5 17:51:54 PST 2004

--==_Exmh_-1635296908P

Around 12 o'clock on Mar 5, "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" wrote:

> And to the extent we need freetype---  There are lots of systems, e.g.
> Solaris, AIX, FreeBSD, etc., that don't have expat on them.

The question is whether we require these external packages to be installed
before building X.  Some software (mozilla) includes this kind of
non-pervasive external dependency, other software (gnome, kde) do not.

The problem is that 'imake' doesn't detect the lack of these libraries until
late in the build process, which is something of a user trap.  I suggested
that perhaps we could eliminate the external dependency sources and hack
up the 'make World' pieces to check for them before starting the build.
But, others suggested that we just leave well enough alone for now. Given
the desire for a rapid release which is as close to XFree86 4.4 as we can
reasonably manage, I think that's probably the wisest course.

-keith

--==_Exmh_-1635296908P

--==_Exmh_-1635296908P--