tinderbox information.

Kendall Bennett release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Wed Mar 10 19:15:40 PST 2004

Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM> wrote:

> Jim Gettys wrote:
> > The cycle time will then be several hours, however, since
> > the monolithic stuff takes so long to build.
>
> Are we changing fast enough that a several hour cycle is a problem?
> (And "make World" on the entire monolithic tree currently takes only
>   19 minutes on our shiny new dual 2Ghz Opteron system - a far sight
>   from the first time I built X on a Sparc 2 and it took over 24 hours.
>   Just need to get a few more of those boxes in here so we can stop
>   fighting over access to it.)

If you want to speed up builds, consider asking TrollTech to donate
copies of their 'Team Builder' product to Freedesktop.org for use on the
Tinderbox (at least for Linux builds). Then if you have multiple boxes
you can run parallel builds across all the boxes, which drastically
speeds things up (the other boxes have no source, they just compile code
as in a compile farm).

We use this internally at SciTech and it made the Qt Embedded build we
were working on go from around 2 hours per build to less than 10 minutes
using 5 machines and a 10 way parallel build!

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~